The River Experience

Winter warm up

Last weekend, Michigan went from a frozen tundra to a warm beautiful sunny weekend. Nothing beats a warm day after months of freezing temperatures and a depressing lack of sun exposure. To cure the winter blues I headed out for my weekly fishing excursion. The best thing about a warm-up is the fact you can wake up and not have to sit In a partially frozen automobile, hoping you won’t crash due to the lack of visibility. You can almost wake up and smell the excitement going around. The birds, the squirrels and even the people seem to be energized by this beautiful weather.

What I like the most about a warm-up is the fact the fish love it too. My journey took me to the Pere Marquette River In search of winter steelhead. In my last blog post, I discussed the experience of fighting fish but lacked the description of the atmosphere of a river. The atmosphere of the river is almost what fishermen feed off of. Something about the how the sun feels extra toasty on the side of your face while listening to such a beautiful sound of water flowing through a river as life metaphorically does. To accompany the river and it’s beauty is typically several other fishermen chasing the same passion as you do. On these days you see less idiots and more quality people. The weather is too good to be bad on this day.

It’s like life seems to slow down even though time seems to speed up. On these days even the beat of your heart seems slow and you can almost hear what the birds are whispering to each other. I mentioned before, solitude without loneliness is a beautiful thing if we allow our mind to accompany the outside world and what it has to offer. Just the sound of slushy snow and the texture of wet slippery mud can turn the winter blues into spring time happiness. Even the sound of laughter and cheering almost seems to resonate through the woods with such a beautiful harmony.

What’s better than enjoying a great day is enjoying a great day with great people. Friends are what makes fishing even more enjoyable. When I spend my time on the river and have memorable moment the things I remember typically are; where it was at, how it was done, and who was I with. People always wondered why fishing buddies can mean so much to someone. Some of my fishing buddies I’ve shared some of the best experiences of my life. They will forever be engraved in my memory. Lots of my buddies have started as complete strangers but by end of sunset they will be my best friends. Sometimes the best friendships start from short introductions and then together create a memory.

Everyone has their happy place. Many people share the same happy places I do. My happy place is a stream flowing through Michigan that holds The majority of my memories I have obtained throughout my life.

Comments

  1. I found this very interesting and detailed! I like how detailed you get because it feels like your right out there experiencing the warm up. Can not wait for your next blog post thanks for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have a real talent with words and you have the ability to make the reader feel your passion! Great work!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Flow like The River

A Day on the River