Night time giants

Midnight Brown Trout


It's a fact, most people are afraid of the dark. For many people, turning off the basement light forces them to not only walk up the stairs, but sprint in fear of what the darkness behind them holds. Imagine being in the dark at night, in the middle of a national forest, all alone, and having to keep that trusty headlight on your head turned off. Sitting on the bank you stay quite. Listening for a "Gulp" while in the distance you  hear the birds of night, coyotes, and everything else that stirs in the night. If you hear a swarm of mosquitos and trout rising, You're fly fishing.

8:00 Pm

I arrive at the river with a plan. I throw my waders on, get out your 9 foot 4 weight fly rod and start peeling out your fly line to feed through each loop till your line come out of the tip of your fly rod. I attach my premade nylon leader to my fly line then tie and additional section of 5 pound tippit to the leader. Me personally, I don't tie a fly on till I reach the river.

8:15

After locking the car up and grabbing my snack, I head down to the river in search of a log jam where I suspect a giant brown trout may live. At arrival at the spot I look where the fish may move out of the log jam when he starts feeding and I sit on the bank near that point. Most fly fisherman will cast all day in search of trout but tonight I have different intensions. When targeting a Trophy brown trout, I will wait up to 5 hours in one spot virtually motionless, waiting for a fish of trophy proportions to start feeding.

9:45

The bugs start hatching. a mixture of mayflies including, Sulfers, grey drakes, and caddis start popping up on the surface of the water drying their wings till they can fly. This will bring out large fish due to the bugs vulnerability sitting on the water. Thousands of bugs breach the surface of the water to fulfill their life cycle. Though lots of fish were rising on these "Duns". I didn't see a fish worth casting too quite yet.

10:30
All the duns headed to the trees but as bugs entered the trees, Hundreds of thousand leave the trees. Looking up at the sky, I can see the swarm of mating bugs about to fall to the water to lay their eggs and die. These are called spinners. Over the next 20 minuets the swarm goes from 40 feet in the air to ground level. Observing, I notice most of these bugs were sulfers. I tied on a rusty sulfer spinner and waited for the "Fall". One by one bugs plummeted with a date with Destiney to lay their eggs. As more bugs hit the water, more fish started rising. Pretty soon the whole river was alive with rising trout. This could be what brings out the beast.

11:30

By now all the bugs have died and are floating down river, the small fish have filled their bellies with as much bugs as they can and there are very few fish left rising, but this time they are BIG. I had 3 fish rising worth the cast. Though listening and paying attention to the way they were rising I was able to estimate wich fish was the largest. By using the moons light I was able to see that this fish was at least 6 inches off the tip off this log where bugs were funneling to him. I creeped my way down river to the fish and sat there. He kept rising. After working everything through my head, I proceeded casting. Cast after cast I went past him but was just out of his feeding rhythm. He would rise every 5 seconds and I wasn't passing him at the right time so I tried my best to get my fly to go past him every 5 seconds and sure enough I got the timing right and he ate slightly louder which indicated he ate my fly. I set the hook and the quite darkness was disturbed by the surface of the water being torn apart by a angry brown trout escaping shallow water. The chase was on. I turned my light on in attempt to stunt the fish and prevent him from running into visible wood. I pulled on him for atleast a couple minuets when finally he couldn't keep his head down and I rolled him into the net of the surface.

771

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flow like The River

A Day on the River

The River Experience